In watching the video for chapter 1, I did notice a few standards. The most common standard that comes to mind, is that of basic operations and concepts. I believe using a graphing calculator is much harder than using the standard models, and the children have grasped the concept. Observing the students I did not notice any lacking the basic skills of operation.
Social, ethical, and human issues- I believe many had a positive attitude towards using calculators. I was impressed with how quiet the class, while lesson was being taught.
Technology productivity tools- Student were using a graphing calculator, thus enhancing the learning process. The calculator also increases productivity and allows students for quicker response times.
Technology communication tools- Students were using the calculators, and it appeared, they were linked to a smart board. The use of a smart board is a great tool, it allows students to see their work, and not a bunch of small numbers on their calculator screen.
Technology research tools- The students were given problems on paper, and then used a graphing calculator to process data, and report results.
Technology problem-solving and decision making tools- Students were using technology to solve the problems and post on smart board. I dont think they were using technology for solving problems in the real world. I think we rely on computer generated results in the math field too often. I like the old way, of working a problem out, and finding results through order of operations.
I thought the lesson was hard to follow. The instructor didn't seem to deliver a clear message, and the children seemed uneasy. The thought of math scares many students, and just thought a more deliberate approach may have been better.
Great job on your first blog, Brian! I know that identifying standards is not a terribly exciting way to kick off the semester, but it is a skill that will help us later on.
ReplyDeleteI think that technology should not be used just for the sake of using it - and personally, I kind of felt like the instructor pushed the calculators onto the students a little early. They seemed to struggle with the concept and the technology. It's one of the reasons why I love teaching this class - we focus on the integration as much as the tools. As with any tool, technology has its place in the classroom. It can be a blessing or a curse...sometimes both in the same day!
I like to use these videos to showcase examples of using technology in the classroom. They aren't always 'this is how you should do it' videos. Like this one, there is certainly room for improvement. But honestly, I admire any teacher willing to be recorded! And the videos give me a chance to showcase integration strategies that I would have shown in an on-campus course.
Keep up the good work!